Another gem from the hobby class during summer vacations. Tried out a vegetarian version of the same today- tuned out decent. Thank you, Mrs.Mathur.:)
Won Ton Soup
Ingredients for the Won Ton shell
- 6tbsp water
- 1 ½ cup maida
- 1 egg
Ingredients for the soups
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 lightly beaten eggs
- 8 snow peas8-10 spinach leaves
- 1tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp ajinomoto
Ingredients for the filling
- ¾ cup minced chicken
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ onion
- 2 tbsp oil for frying
- Salt, pepper and tobasco to taste
- In a bowl beat the egg , mix water and flour and knead well for 2 mins. Roll out the dough till paper thin and cut into 7.5 cm x &7.5 cm square strips for the won ton shells.
- Heat oil in pan and sauté the onions and garlic and the mince meat. Add seasoning. Put ½ tsp filling in each shell. Bring opposite corners in and fold. Seal by wetting bottom edge with water and binding together firmly. Fold the other two corners similarly.
- Cook the won ton in boiling water for five mins. Remove and keep on a greased plate. Bring the stock to a boil. Make an egg sheet( simply put, beat egg and salt . spread it evenly over a pan and cook). Cut into strips. Add won tons, egg strips, snow peas/spinach to the stock. Add seasoning and serve.
Note: If you are a vegetarian like me, you can substitute the chicken with shredded vegetables like cabbage, onions and capsicum and the chicken stock with vegetable stock. Both versions taste as good.
If you don’t want to make the soup, you can simple make the won tons. They are basically steamed dumplings and can be had separately too.